6.24.2012

Replacing register covers

So I know it's a small thing- but if there's something that drives me absolutely batty is when people have disgusting register covers. Exhibit A:



And that was the cleanest one- by far. I tried to take a picture of one of the grosser ones but my stomach couldn't handle it. The kicker is that if properly taken care of (ie: washing in a bleach solution when you discover they're getting kind of nasty) those white plastic covers aren't bad. Not great, but not bad either. Unfortunately, the previous owners didn't get the memo. GROSS! And I know this is a tad OCD- but they were giving me nightmares.

Fortunately, as far as issues go- this was an easy one to fix. While at Costco yesterday, Hubsbeast and I came across two packs of some great modern metal register covers. At 12$/ pack of two- it was a no brainer. Yes, we could have gone to Home Depot or Lowes or Rona and gotten the exact same plastic ones for cheaper, but if you're going to change something, you might as well upgrade, right?!

So we popped out the heave-inducing white register covers (Hubs will gleefully inform you that I did this while wearing latex gloves, and then disposed of the gloves with hazmat-like urgency. Yes, I have a bit of a germophobe side to me.) And we popped in the new shiny clean pretty ones:

So much better!! Don't you think? It cost us a grand total of 48$ to replace every register in the house. And now I'm not heaving every time I catch a glimpse of a yellowed gunk-filled register- because they're on the curb!!

It's the small things that take it from being a house to our home.

Now- I'm slowly formulating a plan to turn this:




Into this:

Via Joyfolie
But that's all I'm telling you for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment